Tuesday, August 17, 2010

You May Say That I'm a Dreamer...

I'm not much for deep thinking (there are lights to hang and hardware to install. I do not have time for that), but as I was hanging up some art recently I realized what I put on my walls said a lot about who I am. Or I guess it's more of who I hope to be.

Save for the animal heads- I'm really not sure what those say about me- the rest of what I've been hanging up lately makes me realize I'm a dreamer. Not a dreamer like I spend all day dreaming about flying (or surviving solely on nacho cheese) although that does happen. More of a dreamer in the sense that I'm an optimist at heart and I tend to always see and hope for things that are better than reality.

I'm drawn to these things in combination with pieces that make me smile when I look at them. Like my laughing Buddha in my office:

Everyone always asks why he's in there. Why not? He seriously makes me smile every time I see him. I want to be like him: permanently smiling and letting out a hearty belly laugh. I might wear a bra though. His boobs kind of scare me.

Then there's the pretty redhead on a wall in my living room:


Now this is truly wishful thinking. I like to look at this one and pretend it's a self-portrait (I did say it was wishful thinking) with her flowing red hair and perfect posture while carelessly riding her bike through a field of flowers.

Or my newest addition, a framed marriage certificate of my great-great grandparents from 1913(!):


This awesome piece is hung by my front door. I see it every time I come in and out, or up and down the stairs. A reminder of where I came from and something for me to strive for.

Halfway up the stairs is my favorite:


This painting combined with blue wall makes me want to dive right in to whatever. To fun, to relaxing, to the weekend, to a new house. Whatever I've got going on good in my life, this painting sums up that feeling.

I didn't make a conscious decision to buy all these pieces because they make me feel a certain way. I was initially drawn to them because they're visually interesting. Then after a while of looking at them they got me thinking and dreaming... And when you come and experience them for yourself, you'll realize I'm not the only one.

1 comment:

  1. Love your taste in art, girl. Although the Buddha looks a bit like Yoda on a 3-day bender from that angle.

    ReplyDelete