Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Welcome to California!

Ok, most of you are already here, but you're not in my California. My California is located in West Sac, in a multi-colored house, up the stairs and to the right.

Welcome to California, the Golden State:

If you look closely, you see that orange thing is in fact, not a nipple (sorry to disappoint), but the silhouette of our state Capitol. It's just one piece of the California puzzle for that room. And that sucker was quite the scientific feat, courtesy of my mother's and my inartistic sides.

I had the idea of making a headboard the shape of the dome back when I was moving into my two bedroom apartment and wanted to have my guest room be a "California" themed room. It was only appropriate considering I lived right across the street from the Capitol. Unfortunately, I have NO artistic ability, and neither did my mom who was helping me out. So we went about it in the best way we knew how: with cocktails. OK, maybe not cocktails. But I'm sure that would have made sense too. We used equations instead.

First I bought the big sheet of plywood. Then I printed out a picture of the Capitol. From there we measured the distance between each vertex and point on the silhouette (we're talking centimeters on the paper) then divided and multiplied our way to the perfect ratio scale and converted it to a measurement we could use on the sheet of plywood. After we had all the main points, it was just a matter of connecting the dots with the right lines. Then Dad stepped in with the saw and cut it for us, and we finished it up with a layer of batting, an orange velvet curtain, some serious staples and Voila! We had a Capitol shaped headboard that can also easily be mistaken for the nipple of a bottle. To-may-to/To-mah-to.

The rest of the room is a work in progress. As I've mentioned before, I'm always on the lookout for all things California. I've got some "Welcome to..." posters to commemorate some of my previous hometowns (Fres-yes) and I'm working on getting them framed. I've already got one framed beauty in there...

It's California related because he plays for California's team, right? It also matches. That Lakers Gold is one of the new colors for that room. Now you know why California is called the Golden State. You learn something new every day. You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment