Saturday, August 7, 2010

An Equation for Success

I just have to tell you all how proud I am of myself for accomplishing this here masterpiece!



This took some serious mathematical skills, which I'm not really sure I had considering Mister and I cheated our way through college math (don't tell my mom). But how hard could a little simple arithmetic be on a Saturday afternoon (after a morning of bottomless mimosas by the way)?

I knew I wanted to put various sized picture frames into this little recessed area in my living room, but wasn't quite sure how to accomplish it. I waited for The Problem Solvers (mom and dad) to come over for a weekend and put them to work mapping it out for me. Once we had the layout down I had to stock up on the frames from IKEA and then wait for the walls to be ready for this masterpiece.

But once I got started hammering in nails I realized it wasn't going to be as easy as- just hammering in nails. First I had to measure the recessed area and lay out a template on the ground to mimic it. Once I spaced out the frames as outlined by The Problem Solvers, I had to determine how much gaps I wanted around the edges. After that I started measuring and marking for the first set of frames which were the four corner ones. From there on out it was all about measuring the distances between each frame and the height and width of the remaining ones, adding, subtracting and dividing my way to perfection (thank god for iPhone calculators!).

Now all that is left is to fill the frames. If only our professor could have snapped a picture of Mister and I switching Scantrons mid-exam. Then I could be reminded of how I got to where I am. Who said cheaters never prosper?

1 comment:

  1. You lost me after the "hammering in nails". I leave all the picture hanging to my dear husband! He seems to be able to do the abstract math in his head.

    ReplyDelete