Saturday, August 14, 2010

It's a Trap!

To clean or not to clean, that is the question. That seems to have been the question for the last two weeks now. The latter clearly being my preference, as evidenced by my office:


Everything is in the exact same place I put it the night the painters left and I set about putting things in their rightful place. Only not everything made it there. Sure, the big stuff is where it's supposed to be, but the small stuff is still calling my name. And I've been ignoring it.

I tell myself I'll do one thing a night during the week to get the job done. Monday night I thought I would put everything back in my kitchen cabinets. Tuesday night I was going to put everything back in my bathroom cabinets. Wednesday night the guest room was going to get organized. Thursday night I was going to scrape all of the carpet pad remnants off the floor. And Friday night I was going to organize the office. Clearly, the office job didn't happen, which means the other ones probably didn't happen either. Let me look around... Yeah, they definitely didn't happen.

During the week I find that by the time I come home from work, get ready for the gym, go to the gym, come back eat dinner, shower, and get ready for bed-- it's time for bed! Then when the weekend rolls around, the last thing I want to do is stay inside the house- what with all the food and alcohol to be consumed in my town! It's a vicious cycle really. And that cycle is where the problem lies. The longer I put things off in the beginning, the more likely I am to put it off indefinitely.

So this weekend I will desperately try to prove Admiral Akbar wrong. I'll be scraping, organizing, cleaning, touching up my way out of this trap.

No comments:

Post a Comment