Saturday, August 21, 2010

Otherwise They'd Call it (House)Play

Gah. It's only 9:00AM on a Saturday morning and I've already been up for five hours. I thought weekends were for sleeping in? Apparently not when there's work to be done. Yes work. Housework, and lots of it.

I didn't purposely wake up that early this morning (no one in their right mind would), but just happened to wake from my dinner/cocktail/dessert coma. Usually I can go back to sleep within a couple of minutes, but my mind immediately started wandering to all of the things I had to do today, and I figured I could either shut it all out and try to go back to sleep, or just wake up and get it done. And so I set to work...

First project was my office that I said I was going to tackle last week. Uh yeah, didn't happen. So I got to it this morning and made an awesome discovery: my desk! I'm actually typing it at now, something I haven't been able to do since this whole thing started. I was also able to put things in their rightful place, including on my walls.


I don't know why I thought I just had to have that gigantor calendar, maybe it was to go with my gigantor calculator.

The calculator actually came in handy after I was done tidying up. For some reason I decided now was a good time to install my kitchen cabinet hardware. All by myself. Trying to do that with help is a freakin' joke, so by myself was hysterical! Right. High-larious. A mathematical nightmare(No, seriously. This really could all be just a bad, bad, dream. It was too early for me to really be doing this, I still had to be in my coma).

When I picked out the hardware at IKEA with my parents, they thought it was so helpful that IKEA also made a template with holes in it to just put up to your cabinets so you don't have to measure 300 times on each cabinet. I thought it was great too. Until I opened it this morning and realized the template was too small for my hardware. Damn Swedes! But I wasn't going to let them leave me handle-less in my kitchen, so I decided I would measure the cabinets 300 times.

I spent a good two hours trying to figure it out, first using cardboard as a dummy cabinet to test on, and then when that didn't work the first 100 times I decided I was ready to try it on the cabinets... genius! Clearly I don't have the patience or the brain for this. One drill hole in the cabinet later in the not-exactly-right-spot, I stopped.

This is what I was left with. I have a feeling this is exactly how things will stay until next weekend when my loving, caring, handy, thank-god-I-have-them, parents come to town to help me with some projects. And so I have to get my complaining out now. All throughout the morning I found myself repeating one of my dad's favorite sayings, "That's why they call it work, otherwise they'd call it play." I hate it when he's right.

No comments:

Post a Comment