Monday, July 26, 2010

And So It Begins...

T-minus 36 hours and counting! Work is finally about to begin on my house and I CANNOT WAIT! I spent this evening talking with the painter/drywaller/framer/father/son team about what to do on the inside, and the tree guy about what is going to happen on the outside. First up, the tree:

It may not look like anything crazy here, but trust me, this sucker is dangerous. And annoying. But nice too.

One of the first things my neighbors told me when I moved into the property was that they could not believe the previous homeowner did not tell me about this tree. What did I need to know about it? I had already figured out that when the wind blows at night, the proximity of it to my window and the bustling of the leaves wakes me up. I know in the fall it gets naked and sheds all of my backyard. I also know that in the summer it gets full of leaves and provides GREAT shade for the Sac heat and GREAT privacy from nosy neighbors. But alas, there's more. Kind of like Fox News, it's got evil roots.

Crap! No seriously, crap can happen when roots get involved and its not pretty. The portions of tree can break through sewer lines and cause back ups of all the lovely things you flush down the toilet. My tree is parked right on top of the sewer line in my little neighborhood and if something happens to that line, and in turns causes poop to hit the fan (or bathroom floor) in someone else's house-- it's my responsibility.

No one told me about any of this before I moved in here. Would I have not bought the house? No, I love my little nest. BUT, I would have either negotiated a drop in the asking price or for the removal prior to my moving in. But, that didn't happen. Poop happens. So now I'm playing George Washington and cutting this sucker down. OK, I cannot tell a lie. Actually 225 George Washington's will be going to work on Wednesday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment