Saturday, June 13, 2009

Sugar Rush

One place I always forget about when I've got a sweet tooth, is a place that is THE perfect remedy for such an affliction. Pieces of cake that are bigger than the plate they're on ( like Strawberry Amaretto Poppyseed or Orange Cranberry), pies that overflow from their tins (try Cherry Rhubarb Raspberry or Pumpkin Pecan Cheese), tortes with the perfect flavor combinations (how about Strawberry Kiwi or Chocolate Kahlua Bombe), and pastries and dessert bars that would satisfy the fat kid screaming to come out of all of us (Pumpkin or Lemon). Oh I could go on and on about Rick's Dessert Diner, but a picture is worth a thousand calories:


People, that is what they call Raspberry Diva. While I don't consider myself a big raspberry fan, or a diva (shock!), I do consider myself a fan of desserts that are meant for sharing. The best part about desserts that are meant for sharing, is not sharing them. I eat it aaalllll by myself- feel guilty about it afterwards-but ultimately come out as a better person because I looked a challenge square in the frosting and conquered it. What better place to accomplish that AND gain five pounds than this little 50's style diner on K Street between 23rd and 24th Streets. My friends and I made our way over there after an afternoon of wine tasting in the park (more to come) and cocktails at Mikuni's. Anyone who doesn't want dessert after a day like that is no friend of mine.

We walked in there and got in line with about 10 other people. This place is always packed, especially late-night. Rick's has hours made for days like the one we were having: Open until 1AM on Fridays and Saturdays. The wait goes quickly so you better pick your poison quickly. The glorious options are displayed in two large cases, the first filled with cheesecakes, pastries, pies and dessert bars. The second case has the cakes that are cut into to show the multitude of layers and filings. The Raspberry Diva I chose was poppy seed cake with a raspberry preserves and raspberry buttercream filling, topped with more raspberry buttercream frosting. As expected, it was super sweet, but oh-so-good. Their buttercream frosting is the good, expensive tasting stuff. The kind that doesn't leave your mouth feeling like it just got sprayed with Crisco (don't eat the Crisco!). And the poppy seeds in the cake gave it a nice texture (and a nice surprise later when I smiled and a friend pointed to them in my teeth). Sadly, that night was not a night I accomplished my goal of eating the whole thing. There just wasn't enough room in that tiny stomach of mine (ha!).

Now I don't remember exactly what my friends had (see note above on wine tasting and cocktails), but I know they enjoyed theirs just as I much I did mine. For a peak at how good you could have it, check out their dessert menu here. And let me know when you're going, I'll buy a dessert we can share, then tell you to get your own ;)

2 comments:

  1. Rick should pay you for the advertisement and recommendation. I want to go there with you. Dessert always comes first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need to take a yummy road trip!

    ReplyDelete