Tuesday, June 2, 2009

3 for 1 Restaurant Special

Ooooh if only the 3 for 1 special was as cheap as it sounds. My 3 for 1 restaurant special did not involve the enjoyment of 3 restaurants for the price of 1. It was more like 3 restaurants in one night. That's how the Saturday of my three day weekend went.

SpiderWoman, another friend and I went out on Saturday night to celebrate all things Lakers. OK,I was the only one interested the Purple & Gold out of the three of us... but that was still good enough for me. SpiderWoman has absolutely no interest in basketball, and the other friend enjoys all sports. Not only does she enjoy watching athletes... but she's one serious athlete herself. So much so that from here on out she'll be called IronWoman.

SpiderWoman, IronWoman and I started out our night at DeVere's Irish Pub on L Street between 15th & 16th Streets. This spot opened up earlier this year, and has been packed ever since. The owners (three guys just as white as me) have said they were looking to open a place just like a pub in Ireland: an extension of one's living room. Perfect! My living room is my favorite place to watch Lakers games... so the three of us waddled inside.

There are two main parts to the Pub: The front has a long bar, and some booths and some pub tables & chairs. If you walk past the front onto the back, there's some more tables and a little bit shorter bar... but there is great service back there. That's where we plopped down, with a large flat screen in plain view. For a drink I opted for a Snake-Bite. A Snake-Bite is half beer, and half hard cider (perfect for me because I'm not so big on the beer). IronWoman had a NewCastle, and SpiderWoman stuck with soda. As for grub, I was saving room for whatever else was coming up that night... and the two Women ordered an Irish-American Grilled Cheese to split. I've had this one before, seeing that I am grilled cheese connoisseur. It's made with Dubliner and American cheeses, and served with a tomato on it (which I usually add anyways). The Dubliner cheese has one of those super-melty consistencies that gets all over your face and hands and whatever else gets close to it. The 'wich is made on your choice of bread... but everyone knows the crusty Sourdough is the best (even if it does cut up the roof of your mouth). This masterpiece also comes with your choice of "Chips or Crisps." The "Chips" are fries and the "Crisps"are potato chips. It's a little backwards, but makes sense if you remember the "Chips" in "Fish and Chips" is actually fries. Both are yummy here either way... the "Chips" being large wedges, served on the crispy side.

Two Snake-Bites and some left over fries later I was ready for a change. It was half time in the game... and when the Lakers changed sides... so did we. We went to the other side of the block to a family favorite.

1 down 2 to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment