Friday, June 5, 2009

The Cherry on Top

With two Snake-Bites, two Newcastles, a big dose of Kobe, and a mix of cheesecake and fries in my belly, one would think it would be a good time to call it a night. Well one would be wrong. Next stop: Sushi.

The two Women and I decided to keep Number 3 within walking distance (mostly because we had to roll ourselves out of the Garage), and all agreed that Mikuni's was our best option. Mikuni's is a great place to go not just for sushi, but for a good meal in general. On 16th St. between J and K streets, it's got a large double-sided bar with large TV's that can be seen from almost every table, a sushi bar, and an upstairs section. The hostesses took one look at us-- and put us upstairs... as far away from the public as possible. No need to scare off potential customers.

My favorite thing to order at Mikuni's is their Sea Steak Poke Salad. Made with seaweed, cucumbers, seared tuna all tossed in a sesame sauce that has a vinegar-ry bite to it... it's my favorite meal whether I'm looking to eat healthy or pig out. They serve a pretty good sized portion of it, so it's perfect for sharing too. We started out with that, and quickly agreed on three rolls to share: The Train Wreck (Shrimp tempura, spicy avo blend, crab mix topped with copped unagi,sea steak, sesame seeds, onion, spicy zing zag sauce and unagi sauce), The Japanese Mafia (Scallop cream cheese, crab salad, shrimp, avo, fresh salmon, 2 special
sauces, lightly torched masago and onion), and unfortunately something else that I couldn't remember (you're welcome).

Now I'm no sushi expert, but sometimes I like to pretend. With that said, I'm not sure if Mikuni's rolls classify as authentic Japanese food. Don't get me wrong, they're delicious. What with their endless ingredients on the inside AND out, and displays of color on top with all their sauces. But, all that kind of takes away from the main point of sushi for me: the seafood! Somewhere in that grab-bag of flavor is a lovely piece of raw tuna or semi-chewy chunk of scallop. But with all that other crap all over it, how am I supposed to enjoy those tastes?

I don't want that last rant keep your from going to Mikuni's. If you're in the mood for a roll and are looking for an authentic, fishy tasting kind of place... this may not be for you. BUT, if you want to taste a plethora of things in one bite, love sauce on your rolls, and want to eat a piece of art, then go ahead and dig in. And don't forget about the versatile Sea Steak Poke Salad.

With the combination of those four things and seeing that I had already consumed enough alcohol for one night, I stuck with my trusty sidekick: Diet Coke. If you didn't know, that's the best way to start and end your day-- with a DC in your system. And that's how I ended mine. After all was consumed, (even the last two pieces of rolls that no one seemed to have room for, but amazingly found a spot in our stomachs for) we decided to pass on the dessert. Especially considering we already ate it at stop number two.

So the three of us waddled back home just like we waddled into de Vere's, only about 10 pounds lighter, $50 poorer, and down a 3 for 1 voucher. But don't worry, there are plenty more vouchers for anyone who wants one.

1 comment:

  1. How on earth do you remember what was in those rolls? I remember yummy. The salad was the best part, thanks for the heads up. Can't wait to see where we end up next time!

    ReplyDelete